SoCalCCCC is proud to present its first annual National CyberSecurity Awareness Month event during the month of October! This year, SoCalCCCC will be hosting a series of webinars as well as a student video contest for participants to win up to $500 in prizes.
NCSAM Webinar Series
October 2020: Wednesdays 12PM-1PM & Fridays 6PM-7:30PM
October 7, 2020 12PM-1PM
Cypress College – Cyber Center National Cybersecurity Awareness Month Presentation
Presented by: Professor Ben Izadi & Professor Russ Alizadeh
The goal of this presentation is to raise awareness about the importance of cybersecurity and to provide the community we serve with the necessary training and resources to be safer and more secure online by lowering their attack surface and not becoming easy targets for cyber criminals.
October 9, 2020 6PM-7:30PM
Cypress College – Cyber Club (C4) Cybersecurity Awareness Presentation and Training
Presented by: Barrett Busch, Cara Wegner, & other C4 Club Members
The training focus is to provide general easy to follow tips and measures to help increase cybersecurity awareness and help recognize the cyber threats and common risks and the necessary steps to avoid becoming victims of cybercrime and achieving higher level of security culture.
October 14, 2020 12PM-1PM
Coastline College – Cybersecurity Careers Panel
Presented by: Dr. Brandon Brown
Hear from panelists how cybersecurity impacts their work and the types of skills needed to work in different cybersecurity roles.
October 16, 2020 6PM-7:30PM
Coastline College & CyberDEI – ProTalks: Cybersecurity Careers
Presented by: Dr. Brandon Brown
Wonder what it’s like to work in Cybersecurity? Hear about cybersecurity work roles from professionals working in industry.
October 21, 2020 12PM-1PM
CyberDEI – Fake News, Deep Fakes, Securing Elections, and Misinformation
Presented by: Malia Mason
Learn more about how deep fakes, fake news, and misinformation change our perception of others and influence our decisions.
October 23, 2020 6PM-7:30PM
Irvine Valley College & Coastline College – Online Scams & Identity Theft
Presented by: Professor Mike Salviani & Professor Tobi West
Identity theft and online scams are on the rise due to the pandemic and other societal issues that cybercriminals take advantage of. Learn more about how to protect yourself against these types of social engineering attacks.
October 28, 2020 12PM-1PM
Coastline College – Cybersecurity Competition Pathways and Student Clubs
Presented by: Dr. Brandon Brown & SoCalCCCC Mentors
Cybersecurity competitions help students develop technical skills and teamwork skills that prepare them for the working world. Student clubs provide students with professional networking opportunities and the platform to share their research or new knowledge with others.
October 30, 2020 6PM-7:30PM
Fullerton College & Coastline College – Cybersecurity Resumes; Preparing for Your Career in Cybersecurity; Closing Ceremony
Presented by: Professor Anna Carlin & Professor Tobi West
This presentation is for students interested in building skills and making connections for their resume while on their academic journey.
The closing ceremony will include an announcement of the video contest winners.
NCSAM Student Video Contest
Submission Deadline: 10/20/20 5:00PM Pacific
- All video participants must be currently attending either Coastline College, Fullerton College, Cypress College, or Irvine Valley College
- Individual or group submissions are allowed
- Must be 18 or older
- Must submit signed consent form
VIDEO SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS:
- Must be student’s own original work, not copied from other sources
- Must be 30 seconds or less
- May be about any Cybersecurity Awareness topic for National Cybersecurity Awareness Month #NCSAM
- Must be Section 508 Compliant with closed captioning
- Must be suitable for public audiences
- Videos will be used by SoCalCCCC for educational purposes and may be posted or shared publicly and in the classroom
- Must submit before the deadline October 20, 2020 5:00PM Pacific Time
SUBMITTING YOUR VIDEO:
- Upload your video to YouTube or other public social media site
- Update closed captioning to ensure video is Section 508 Compliant
- Have your student email address handy
- Download and sign the consent form
- By submitting your video to this contest, you agree that your video can be posted publicly and used for educational purposes by SoCalCCCC faculty and the colleges of SoCalCCCC
- Copy your video’s URL
- Complete one submission form per team member
- Videos will be scored by cybersecurity professionals and may also be screened, scored, and/or ranked by SoCalCCCC faculty
- Screening will be based on student eligibility, length of video, and Section 508 Compliance
- Scores and ranking will be based on overall creativity, technical quality, and content
- Student should consider the following when creating their video: message delivery, design elements, lighting, sound, editing, positivity and persuasion, target audience, action steps for the viewer, and spelling, punctuation, grammar, and capitalization
PRIZES AND ANNOUNCEMENT:
- Video contest winners will be announced on 10/30/20 6:00PM-7:30PM during the SoCalCCCC NCSAM Webinar
- SoCalCCCC video contest judges will select videos from those submitted before the deadline that meet the criteria above
- Prizes will be split equally between team participants for team submissions
- Prizes will be issued in the form of gift cards, as follows
- 1st Place = $500
- 2nd Place = $300
- 3rd Place = $200